Tuesday, May 4, 2010
Big O update
Thank you everyone for your private and public responses to the last blog post. Oliver (and me) are very loved :)
Update: The chiropractic/acupuncture vet did indeed confirm a COMPRESSED disc and is working diligently to correct that. Unfortunately because there was NO milogram (or MRI) we won't know for sure if it is indeed ruptured or not. After talking to Denise Waiting...who is in charge of surgery at the U of WA in Pullman (also home to WADDL), it sounded that if he WOULD get sensation and feeling back, it would be most likely just compressed (and the better of the two) and if he didn't, it would be most likely ruptured. And since she is not a vet, she cannot diagnose, and Dr Brad at Casselton, does not have the equipment to do either test, so we can only speculate.
It most certainly is IVDD, and although that is most likely the cause, I have sent out for a DM test for him. I was always going to do it, but thought I had more time.
I called the clinic and Oliver is very alert, but resting well in a crate. They will keep him three days to do acupuncture and chiropractic work on him, as well as an IV drip of the DMSO treatment, which acts like a steroid, but isn't. Tomorrow morning Dr. Brad may use a local steroid on the lumbar disc that is compressed.
Fingers crossed it isn't ruptured.
A very slight glimmer of hope is I felt Oliver press both his hind legs against my arm as I carried him down the steps (only a few seconds) but that is better than no pressure.
Oliver is in good hands and I think I can finally rest tonight :)
Hugs to all